The National Health Council held its 32nd Health Leadership Conference in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida from February 13 – 15, 2019. The theme this year was, “The New Normal: Continued Focus on Access, Affordability, and Sustainability,” and was designed for CEOs – and their Board volunteer partners – from the nation’s leading patient advocacy and nonprofit organizations. It provided an unparalleled opportunity to learn about best practices from the leaders of the nation’s top voluntary health agencies and nonprofits.
Casey Albertson, President of PatientBond, was invited by the National Health Council to present on psychographic segmentation, its use in patient advocacy and enhancing medication compliance, among a wide range of other applications in healthcare.
Application of the Psychographic Segmentation Model
Albertson shared several case studies in which PatientBond used its proprietary psychographic segmentation model to personalize digital communications to amplify patient engagement. Psychographics pertain to people’s attitudes, values, personalities and lifestyles, and are core to their motivations and communication preferences. These examples included:
- Up to 90 percent reduction of hospital readmissions for Congestive Heart Failure and a form of spinal surgery
- 10X increase in employee biometric screenings
- 5X increase in an insurer’s cancer screenings
- 75 percent response rate among patients on specialty pharmaceuticals
- 8X increase in an insurer’s member response to Gaps in Care interventions for diabetes and mammography
Collaboration with the American Heart Association
Albertson also highlighted a collaboration between PatientBond and the American Heart Association in the development of the Health Motivation Platform, a suite of digital engagement and communication solutions designed to increase patient engagement in the management of their heart condition. The Health Motivation Platform combines the American Heart Association’s science-based condition management plans (CarePlans) and other AHA content with PatientBond’s personalized, digital engagement technology.
The Health Motivation Platform is cloud-based and API-driven, and can be used with existing technology (e.g., EMR, CRM or practice management system) or as a stand-alone digital health communications tool. Three products are offered with the platform, addressing different cardiovascular health issues:
- Condition Management: Manage specific cardiovascular conditions (e.g., AMI, heart failure, stroke) as a supplement to providers’ care (up to 12 months)
- Health Enhancement: Manage the overall wellness of a population & prevention of cardiovascular disease (variable length program)
- Readmissions Reduction: Reduce hospital readmission rates for selected cardiovascular conditions (30 to 90 day program)
Albertson’s presentation was thought-provoking and well received. It reinforced the National Health Council’s mission as “The united voice for patients with chronic diseases or disabilities and their family caregivers.” The National Health Council seeks to identify and implement best practices for integrating the patient voice into the conduct of research and health care decision making, and PatientBond, with its psychographic segmentation model, is well positioned to help achieve these goals.